Monday, August 23, 2004

...and yet more...



I love it! Who could ask for "more"?

...yet the stories keep rolling in...

Here are a few from our AIA director in a former Soviet country...

"One day as I was traveling to an event I struck up a conversation with the man next to me who turned out to be a former basketball coach for the national team in (a small western European country). He gladly received our sports DVD with the Jesus Film and was interested in possibly getting some for the team.

After attending a basketball game I noticed a very distinguishing looking man and initiated a conversation with him. I turned out to be one of the 8 or 10 Olympic commissioners from (a former Iron Curtain country). We talked for 30 minutes and he too was very open to receiving our DVD gift.


On another occasion I met a (European) kayaker and talked for 10 minutes and he took the dvd. Later I met the European recruiter for (professional basketball team) and talked with him for 30 minutes. He was a rough guy, but eagerly received the DVD at the end of our conversation."

News from one of our AIA staff women...

"One of the competeing women archers made it into the final 16 (out of 64). She has written on her arm, "audience of one", to remember she competes to please Christ, not others! She meets daily one of the AIA female chaplains in the village!"

And finally (today at least) from our AIA director in another (different than the above) former Soviet country...

"I'm on the internet right now sitting next to two (former USSR country) swimmers who finished their competition this morning. After some small talk I offered each of them a copy of the special Olympic version of the JESUS film on DVD (their's being one of 8 languages on the DVD), which they gladly accepted. I asked them if they wanted a gospel of Luke in Russian, but they happily replied that they had already gotten copies (freely distributed) from their team office."

More than halfway through the Olympics now and I'm praying for the workers and athletes that they will persevere. Sometimes the Good News is most readily heard in the context of strong disappointment and shattered dreams. There are more athletes at the Olympics commiserating than celebrating. I hope and pray that it will lead them into a relationship with the true champion of all mankind and help them to discover More Than Gold.




No comments: