Tuesday, August 31, 2004

...and the final "more" on Athens!

Well it's all over but the memories (and spectacular "vision" of courageous people pursuing their dreams)! This will be my final (planned) entry regarding the Christian presence at the Games of the 28th Olympiad. I thought it fitting to finish off with some comments from chaplains and athletes stories of their adventures after the "job" was done. How did some of them celebrate immediately prior to the Closing Ceremony?

I sounded like the highlight for some was a side trip to Corinth...(thanks for the report Stuart and the first hand assessment Jason)

"On Wednesday, I also had the privilege of taking part in a tour going down to Corinth and taking some of the athletes. We had a Greek guide who is also an evangelical rather than Greek Orthodox and who knows his bible very well. Having studied 1 & 2 Corinthians in quite some depth in the past, it was great to actually see something of where Paul lived and ministered for 18 months. Kostas, our guide, was a goldmine of information on the background to Paul's letters and Luke's account of his time there in Acts. I came away with pieces of information that I have not read about anywhere else. The athletes were blown away by the whole day - it was really a 5 hour bible study as we went from place to place on the archaeological diggings and opened up the bible to read relevant parts. It was a long and exhausting day but definitely well worth it.

One of the Australian Olympians commented…

"Let me tell you, the guide was a strong Christian with unbelievable historical knowledge. He made the experience so unbelievable it is hard to describe. Definitely feels better than losing a game at the Olympics anyway! I had one of those life experiences you seldom get. Something I will cherish for the rest of my life. I was also able to spend it with about 100 other sporting ministry people from all over the world as well as a New Zealand Olympian I have become very close with. We have bonded closely mainly because of our similarities in our love for Christ and basketball being a passion."

In one for the personal comments I received on my blog, a good friend reminded me of the importance of praying for the athletes as they return to "normal life". A good reminder. Sometimes the lowest of "lows" follow the highest of "highs"...and sometimes the experience itself has been the lowest of "lows". My prayer is that the experience--postitive or negative might bring each Olympian a few steps closer to Him in their relationship with Jesus.

If so, it will be more than worthwhile...

If not, I am reminded of the words of Jesus (slightly paraphrased to match the occasion)...

"What value and benefit is there in winning a gold medal (or several) if a man or woman loses their soul?"



No comments: