Friday, April 29, 2005

Thinking Long Term

An interesting thought for the day...

"I have discovered I must think long term. I can accomplish more than I ever dreamed in 10 years, even if my short-term goals go unmet. Learning this lesson allows me to go at a sane pace, rather than frantically trying to do everything now. It also allows me to set realistic goals and deadlines while building something that lasts. A mushroom grows in six days; an oak tree grows in 60 years. Which do you want your ministry to produce?" - Brad Johnson

In my life coaching I have found a very simple suggestion in regard to "balance" has been liberating in regard to my obsessive self-criticism...

Work toward a balance (in the seven primary roles of life) over a week...instead of attempting to maintain balance over a 24 hour period. Balance isn't necessary a balance in real time invested in each of the roles...there doesn't have to be an hour for hour equation for you to achieve at least a modicum of balance. Ten minutes of prayer can accomplish more than ten hours of work!

No comments: