Friday, January 28, 2005

Kings Road Trip--Day Six

Thursday

Breakfast with team and out to "new" training centre with wooden floors. Had a short talk with one of the support staff about "comparative religions" brought on by discussion about the people praying to buddhas in the outdoor marketplaces. Later continued the conversation briefly. I gained some awesome insight from this conversation that will take me some time to digest but I certainly appreciate my mates' comment and enjoyed the interaction.

Handed a brief handwritten "study" on Daniel to the player I had talked to yesterday and he was appreciative of the time I had taken to expand on our conversation. Did a quick shop with Wheels instead of lunch and loaded on to a bus with both teams to do a Harvey Norman promo at the Suntec Shopping Centre. While the two teams made long shots and were introduced to the shoppers, I was asked to give out free tickets to the game. Had a great time "socializing" and joking with people about the game. Took advantage of a special "team rate" to buy a half-gig memory stick for my computer.

After the promo the team was released for some free time to find there own way back to the hotel (only a couple of kilometers away). I had arranged to picked up by a couple of workers with the FaithActs organization who work with underprivileged kids in one of the high rises near the hotel. Jason and I went with them to do a slamdunk demo and 10 minute clinic followed by the two of us telling the story of our spiritual journey to the kids (about 20 +).

Jason also explained how someone could come to know Christ and I offered them free tickets to the game as a visual demonstration of how it wasn't enough to merely have a gift offered to you (either basketball games or heaven)...you must accept the gift before it is yours--even if it has already been paid for. Jason lead the kids in silent prayer if they wanted to respond to Christ but we had no indication of any decisions (neither did we ask for one though).

Very rewarding and Jason seemed to be energized by the experience. Once again he did a great job in communicating. I asked him later if it was the first time he had "presented" to a group in a different country and after short assessment he thought it probably was. I welcomed him into the ranks of "foreign missionaries".

Back to hotel for Team/Public Cocktail Party in the lobby and again enjoyed explaining chaplaincy role to the dubious. One group of three cyclists from Perth who were here to cycle but planning to see the game asked if I would bless them!

Back up the room to an early night in preparation for the game day tomorrow. Good day!

No comments: