Friday, September 24, 2004

Thoughts on behaviour and values

A friend of mine has asked me to pray that "my faith will dramatically affect my behavior in these next days". In reply to her...and probably gearing in more on the word "behavior"...I had a few thought that I decided to blog as well...

I have been reminded at least five times in the last couple of days that "our behavior is merely a reflection of our values". Rather that trying to motivate others (or even myself) by demanding (or even suggesting!) behavioural change...it would be far more effective and long-lasting to help them make a shift in their values that would drive a change in the way they do things. Values in turn are reinforced by investing time and energy (and other resources) into the things and people we "value" (or want to).

Then again...that ususally involves some kind of behaviour! Getting confusing here (to me at least). Possibly because the two are more closely integrated than we realize. To salvage anything from this mental rambling, I will close off by suggesting that any movement toward behavioural change should factor in some thought on underlying values.

No comments: