Monday, September 04, 2006

Grief in Goondiwindi

A couple of weeks ago now, I experienced a very sad, difficult, and extremely memorable couple of days in the small outback town of Goondiwindi, Queensland (5,000 people) as together we mourned the loss of two young rugby players in an automobile accident. The prayers of His people and God’s grace truly sustained me in this trying time and I am grateful to my prayer team and to Him.

I had specifically asked people to pray for “the Lord’s heart” in this matter—an unusual and spontaneous request (that I don’t think I have ever asked for in those words).

So, I was overwhelmed (on my second day...out on a family farm) when one victim’s grandmother came up to me and placed her hand on my chest, looked up into my eyes (with tears in her own), and said to me…”you have a good heart”.

I won’t go into details here. I have provided links below to “newspaper” accounts for more information (and photos) of the young men so that you can continue praying for their dear families.


News links regarding the Goondiwindi story…
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20193210-5003411,00.html
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,,20183553-952,00.html


No comments: